Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Waste Not, Want Not (February)

These are the things I want to work on for February:
  • Citrus Peels (yes, really)
  • My Fabric Stash
  • Books

We usually toss our orange and grapefruit peels into the compost pile, or dry them and grind them up for various baking projects. I recently learned how to turn them into tasty treats by candying them. My plan is to save the peels as I use the fruit, slice them up, and freeze them to cook at my leisure. DS has already requested a care package of candied orange peels to be mailed out post haste.

The fabric stash is made up of the curtains and tablecloths snatched up from thrift stores to be made into gift bags. Since I already have enough for my own use, I want to make up bag sets to be given away for Christmas. When I'm tired of that, I'll be making new covers for toss pillows, dish towels, napkins, handkerchiefs, and whatever else I can think up! Pre-Compact, I would've just folded up the fabric and sent it back to the thrift store.

I've been a very active bookcrosser for the past 3+ years, and I've made sure that people know that if they have books they're not going to reread I will be delighted to pick them up and release them for new readers to find. I've been slacking off lately. Where I used to release up to a hundred books a week, it's been more like five since before Christmas. I was just given two huge bags and a box of paperbacks, and it is clear that I need to take some time to register and label them so that I can move them out the door.

These are the targets I'm shooting for. I might not get everything where I want it to be by the end of the month, but making this public commitment will serve as a reminder to at least try!

No comments: